Monday, December 28, 2015

Review: The Prophecy of Shadows by Michelle Madow (Elementals, #1)



BWHB
Summary
(from goodreads)

FANS OF PERCY JACKSON AND THE SECRET CIRCLE WILL LOVE ELEMENTALS!


When Nicole Cassidy moves from sunny Georgia to gloomy New England, the last thing she expects is to learn that her homeroom is a cover for a secret coven of witches. Even more surprisingly … she’s apparently a witch herself. Despite doubts about her newfound abilities, Nicole is welcomed into this ancient circle of witches and is bedazzled by their powers—and, to her dismay, by Blake—the school’s notorious bad-boy.


Girls who get close to Blake wind up hurt. His girlfriend Danielle will do anything to keep them away, even if she must resort to using dark magic. But the chemistry between Blake and Nicole is undeniable, and despite wanting to protect Nicole from Danielle’s wrath, he finds it impossible to keep his distance.


When the Olympian Comet shoots through the sky for the first time in three thousand years, Nicole, Blake, Danielle, and two others in their homeroom are gifted with mysterious powers. But the comet has another effect—it opens the portal to the prison world that has contained the Titans for centuries. After an ancient monster escapes and attacks Nicole and Blake, it’s up to them and the others to follow the clues from a cryptic prophecy so that they can save their town … and possibly the world.



Read from: December 18 to December 22, 2015
Read on: iPhone


Review:




I was really intrigued about this book and I was happy that I got the chance to read an advanced copy of it. Unfortunately, I was sort of disappointed with this book.

The idea was interesting, but it didn’t catch my attention at all. The characters didn’t do it for me. I couldn’t connect with them and they annoyed me so much. I’m not the kind of person who hates clichés or overused plots, but in this, I couldn’t help but cringe each time I saw one.

The main character was really the one who annoyed me the much. She was excelling at everything she was doing and it bugged me. Even if this is explained in some point of the book, I still felt like it was over the top. But it would have still been bearable if it wasn’t for her personality; it sometimes felt like all over the place. For example, she is attracted to a guy who already has a girlfriend and one minute, she’s like, I shouldn’t, but he talks to her and then it’s like who cares, I want to see him and know if he likes me or not. If that girl was my friend in real life, I would have probably slapped her a few times.

And the girlfriend is of course the meanest girl ever and that’s a cliché that really bugs me. I mean, couldn’t the guy have a girlfriend who is nice, but not made for him? We don’t need to hate the other girl to hope the main character to end up with him.

And I wish other characters caught my attention because it would probably make me want to read the next books in the series, but right now, I just don’t feel like it.

I know a lot of people love her books and maybe her writing and me won’t ever connect. Will it stop me from reading her other books? I don’t know. I ought to give a try to one of her other series and see if I would love them more, but this series isn’t for me.

Thank you NETGALLEY & BARCLAY PUBLICITY for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange of an honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment