Friday, March 18, 2016

Review: The Program by Suzanne Young (The Program, #1)



BWHB
Summary

(from goodreads)

In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.

Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.



Read from: February 12 to February 16, 2016
Read on: Owned Hardcover


Review:



So I started this book with nothing in mind for it. I had read the summary a long time ago, but I had forgotten it the moment I started this book and was reminded of what it was about once I was into the first few chapters of it.

I was really surprised with just how much I enjoyed reading this book. Suzanne Young used suicide as and an epidemic and work a story around it. I found it quite interesting even if sometimes, I feel like some explanations felt quite evasive. Maybe it’s the way I read it or maybe a lot more will be explained in the next book.

So once you are tagged as predisposed for being suicidal, you are sent to the Program which felt a lot like if they were doing a lobotomy of them as their memories are taken away to assure them a future.

Sloane, James and Miller are all still in the age range to be sent there and are trying to help one another to avoid the Program. Sloane and James are dating and I will admit that I really liked them together. They brought a lot to one another and I was rooting for them from the beginning.

Alas… Good things usually end and following some events, Sloane and James are sent to the Program one after the other.

I wish I could say that I loved Sloane, but I’ll admit that sometimes, she was really getting on my nerves, especially once she was in the program. I get it that her memories were being taken away, but I felt like she was becoming someone else. I liked her, but something is missing for me to love her.

It’s in the Program that she meets Realm to who she quickly attaches herself to. Whether it is just lust or like (nothing will make me believe she was in love with him), I don’t know, but I just felt like she just didn’t want to be alone and he was there.

Realm was a character that I couldn’t quite put a reason to why I liked and hated him at the same time. Besides the obvious reason that I didn’t want him with Sloane, I felt like there was something odd with him. Even if a lot is explained throughout the book, I still feel we are missing pieces of who this guy really is.

And James… Okay, I just loved him and it broke my heart when he and Sloane meet again and neither of them remembered the other, but you can still feel like there is something between them. I guess that mind and heart are really two separate things and a mind can never dictate to a heart what to do.

More events will happen between their first meeting and the end that will leave you wanting more. You will want them to remember; you’ll want them to continue to fight.

I am really trying to keep this review as spoilers free as possible, so I’ll stop here, but overall, I really enjoyed this book and I’m looking forward to continue to read this series. I want to know how it will all end.

No comments:

Post a Comment