Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Review: Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini (The Worldwalker Trilogy, #1)



BWHB
Summary
(from goodreads)

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.



Read from: September 23 to September 26, 2015
Read on: Owned Hardcover


Review:



So I decided to finally read this book as I'm supposed to meet the author next month. I've been meaning to read it for a while, but sometimes, other books just got my attention or I wasn't in the mood for that kind of book so it got pushed back.

I fell in love with the Starcrossed trilogy and I was really hoping the same thing would happen with her new series. And guess what? I did. I fell for the idea, the characters and the alternate universe.

As I started reading this book, it took me a few chapters before getting into the story as the first chapters are mostly about her crush on her best friend and all the drama that comes with it, but once she finds herself in that alternate universe, it all changes.

Once you enter that world, it got a bit confusing because since this is an alternate universe, characters for Lily's world were also in it and I had to remind myself that even if they are representing the same person, they are not the same person. But that doesn't last too long and you continue the story as if you never were confused in the first place :)

Also in this alternate world, we meet new ones that were not part of Lily's world. Whether that will be significant in the series or not, I don't know. I'm intrigue to find out how come some characters aren't in Lily's world. Maybe it doesn't mean anything and I'll go on never knowing, but there's at least two other books so who knows what the author has in store for us.

Lily is really an interesting character. I wasn't sure if I would end up liking us since at first, I couldn't deal with the way she was, but once she finds herself in a new territory, I saw Lily as she should have been from the start. I really feel like she grew through this book and I'm looking forward to read more about her.

I'm really trying not give too much about this book because I just don't want to spoil anyone with anything that they might consider being spoilers. So, I'll leave this review here, but I really believe this series is worth a shot.

Josephine has a way to take an idea and really make it her own. She is creative and her writing is really enjoyable. You will be suck into her world.

No comments:

Post a Comment