Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Review: While the Duke was Sleeping by Sophie Jordan (The Rogue Files, #1)




Summary
(from goodreads)
Add on [goodreads]


Sometimes the man of your dreams . . .

Shop girl Poppy Fairchurch knows it’s pointless fantasizing about the Duke of Autenberry. Still, dreams can’t hurt anyone . . . unlike the carriage Poppy spies bearing down upon the unsuspecting duke. After she pulls him to safety, the duke lapses into a coma and Poppy is mistaken for his fiancée. But one person isn’t fooled:

His arrogant and much too handsome half-brother, Struan Mackenzie. Soon Poppy isn’t sure what she wants more . . . the fantasy of her duke or the reality of one smoldering Scot who challenges her at every turn.

. . . is not who you think.

An illegitimate second son, Struan may have built an empire and established himself as one of the wealthiest men in Britain, but he knows he will always be an outsider among the ton. Just like he knows the infuriating Poppy is a liar. There’s no way the haughty Duke of Autenberry would deign to wed a working class girl. It doesn’t matter how charming she is. Or tempting. Or how much Struan wants her for himself. 



Read from: October 10 to October 11, 2016
Read on: eARC


Review:



Getting to read this book made me so happy, you have no idea. I was really looking forward to read more about Struan Mackenzie since we met him in All the Ways to Ruin a Rogue. He was this character that you didn’t know what to think about. Not many seemed to like him, but I don’t know, I was intrigued by him. Reading about his backstory, you really get a good feel about what kind of man he is and what kind of man he doesn’t want to be.

Poppy Fairchurch is the kind of character that reminded me a little bit of a lioness; she was caring and sweet, but don’t you dare harm those she cares about or else, she attacks. She is sassy yet she looks innocent and I think that's why Struan is firstly intrigued by her. She isn't described as the most beautiful girl in the world, but I liked that the author seemed to describe her beauty like a subtle one; one you discover as you get to know her.

And from the moment these two meet, they bicker for every little thing. It was quite entertaining to read about these moments because he always seemed surprised when she wouldn’t back down from confrontation. There’s obvious attraction between the two of them, but she is supposed to be engaged and she doesn’t want to be attracted to him while he is interested to find what the Duke could have found interesting about that girl while trying to justify is interest in her.

Poppy’s sister is a character who I wasn’t sure how to like, but she was a teenager forced to stay inside for her own security so I could understand some of her frustration. She was also quite aware of just how beautiful she is and sometimes, that could cause some headache to Poppy. Sometimes, I liked her and sometimes, she annoyed me and I wanted to send her to her room hahaha

And the Duke’s family… God, I loved them. I loved the way his stepmother is so welcoming and his sisters just as much. I’m looking forward to read more about them (hint to Sophie ;)).

So overall, I fell once again in love with one of Sophie’s books and she is the reason I might start to expand my collection of historical romances and search for new authors. 

I was giving an advanced copy of this book by Edelweiss and Avon Books in exchange of an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment