Thursday, December 29, 2016

Review: Retreat by Jay Crownover (Getaway, #1)



Summary
Add on [goodreads]

Every once in a while, you need to get away from it all.

I was a woman on the edge, shaken and shattered after a breakup that felt like it tore my entire world apart. 

My best friend, sick of watching me drown in misery and melancholy, harassed me until I agreed to go with her on a week-long wilderness retreat.

She promised days spent bonding and getting in touch with our inner bad-asses. 
It was supposed to be all about the two of us roughing it and making do with the bare minimum. She assured me we were going to be pushed to our limits in ways that were unimaginable. Neither one of us could have ever guessed just how right she was.

Nowhere in the glossy brochure did it say anything about the fact I was going to have to battle the insufferable but deliciously rugged and sexy trail guide instead of the elements. The brochure also forgot to mention the part that warned when you left civilization behind, there was no place to pack your inhibitions and fears.

I was told that I would be facing a week where the only thing I should expect was the unexpected. However, no one mentioned that I was going to have to fight for my life…and my heart as soon as I ventured into the unknown. 

I was a pro at hiding from my feelings but when it came time to face a real threat, one that could change everything, I learned I was more of a no surrender, no retreat kind of girl.

Retreat is a standalone novel, the first in the Getaway series which centers on the hardheaded and brokenhearted Warner brothers and the women that dare to love them.

These boys are very good at putting the wild in wilderness.



Read on: December 28, 2016
Read on: ebook


Review:



Surprise book by Jay Crownover? Hell Yeah! I was sooo happy when she announced this to us that I was jumping up and down with excitement.

When I woke up this morning, I could finally buy it, started it and finished in less than a day. You get sucked right into the story from the very first lines.

The reason for that is because Jay created characters that just get to you. Leo is a girl with a broken heart, a broken trust and a broken confidence. She got burned badly and her best friend has gotten her to agreed to an outdoor adventure for a change of scenery. If she didn't expect much from this trip besides making her best friend happy, she quickly realized she was wrong when she met Cyrus.

Cyrus is the not-so-cowboy she butts head most of the beginning of the book and rest of the book if we are honest lol, but the chemistry between them is off the chart. From the beginning you can tell that something is growing between them and I loved that both of them sort of had closed-hearts because as the story went on, they slowly opened to each other as they spilled drops of their pasts.

Both have experiences that can be related to everyone and I think that's what made this book such an easy and entertaining read. Even if you didn't live exactly what they did, you can easily see yourself through experiences that burned you. Leo's thoughts and reactions spoke to me in volume and I didn't even live the kind of burn she went through but her fears can be interpreted for so many different heartaches. Cyrus' past explained so much of his attitude and you just want him to get the happiness he deserves. And I believe every girl should get a Cyrus. Jay like always made sure we would all be swooning over her men.

I really liked how Leo and Cy both grew somewhat in the book. Jay showed with their growth how it's not always easy to put the past and doubts behind, but if you work at it, it's always worth it in the end.

Jay created not only main characters we can relate to and understand, but she also created other characters that were filling out the story perfectly. Some you will love from the get-go and others that will slowly get to you. I don't think this story would have been the same without them and I'm really looking forward to seeing them again in the future books.

This is a new series by Jay that I'm just looking forward to read the next ones to come. I'm highly recommend this book. You will find it all in this series for your reading pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment